The Snapshot report released in February proved U.S. magazines continue to make significant strides in attracting and gaining digital readers. We reported more than 300 magazines counted nearly 11 million digital replica copies, up 37 percent when compared to the second half of 2012. You can read more about U.S. magazine data for the second half of 2013 and see several top 25 charts here.

The Snapshot report reflects limited, top-line data for AAM magazine members. To further evaluate digital magazine trends, we used the Periodical Analyzer in the Media Intelligence Center. From our analysis, we learned digital replica circulation—those copies containing the same editorial and photography content as the national print edition—still dominate the market, driven by rate base requirements, no doubt. Nonreplica editions account for just 1 percent of all digital circulation, while the remaining 99 percent are replica copies.

Of those copies, 90 percent are attributed to subscriptions, 8 percent to single copy or newsstand sales, 1 percent to analyzed nonpaid circulation and less than 1 percent to verified subscriptions.

Based on SRDS classification, the most likely magazine genres to serve digital editions are: women’s, automotive and metro/regional magazines (tied for the second spot), home, and fishing and hunting. Here are the top performers in each category.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *